Monday, November 29, 2010

Blessings from God’s Word

What I’d like to share today was from Mrs. Judy’s Sunday-school lesson yesterday.

I’ve been teaching 2-3 year olds for about 3 years now so it has been surprising to see how much I missed hearing from God’s Word from an older, more experienced, lady who can add her own life’s experiences to what she is teaching. It was a real blessing yesterday and I hope I can share adequately what it was that God gave me out of this.

Psalm 139:1-6, 13-16, 23-24

1  O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
2   Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3   Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4   For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
5   Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6   Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

1. God Knows Me. vs.1-6

13   For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14   I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15   My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16   Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

2. God Made Me. vs 13-16

~Mrs. Judy talked about the word reins meaning the innermost part of a person, basically the organs. She then passed around a book showing all of the stages of pregnancy. So we could all see how God formed us. She pointed specifically to a picture of the baby at about 4 weeks, did you know that the heart has already formed at such an early stage? We are fearfully and wonderfully made!

~She talked about verse 15 and “the lowest part of the earth” meaning the woman’s womb. Even though the woman may not know that she is expecting yet God does from the moment we are conceived. He knows all about us “My substance was not hid from thee."

I thought of Andrea Hamilton during Sunday School and the little baby picture she has on her blog showing how her baby is growing and developing. That little baby even though he isn’t born yet is still a person in God’s sight and He knows everything about him already.

23   Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24   And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

3. Davids Prayer. vs. 23-24

This is a familiar part of scripture to most people, David wanted God to see every aspect of his life and lead him in the way he should go. Mrs Judy just asked each of us if we could honestly pray this prayer about our lives or if there were things in the way that we wouldn’t want God to see(which He does anyways as seen earlier). Its not an easy thing to pray that prayer and be willing to remove those “wicked ways.” I’m so glad that God, even though he sees all of our downfalls and failures He also loves us enough to show grace and mercy and gently tries to lead us “in the way everlasting.”

Well I don’t feel like I’ve done a good job at sharing this but hopefully you were able to see something from this Psalm in a different light than before. If you have anything to add about this or just  comment I’d love to hear what you have to say about this Psalm.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for Sharing Becky. we are about to go through this book in Ladies SS...

    ReplyDelete