Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Baby Steps: Cleaning My Heart and Home – Day 1

Today is the official, I’m starting Flylady, Day 1.

Don’t forget to read your Bible this morning – it was our first official habit to start this month off right!

Day 1 – Shine Your Sink

31 Beginner Baby Steps

This task is a simple thing to do each day that makes your whole kitchen look better (even though the rest of the kitchen might not be completely clean). You want to clean your kitchen sink until it shines, I’ve done the initial cleaning process to shine my sink before so I just touched up some areas, mainly around the base of the faucet, that needed it but if you’d like to see the Flylady way of shining your sink, which is very effective and low cost efficient, you can check that out here:

Flying Lesson on How to Shine Your Sink

Like I said earlier I did a little bit of scrubbing with my potato scrubber, or you can use a toothbrush (just not one that someone in your household is currently using). Wiped it down with soap and water followed by a spray of Windex and a swish-swish with a dry towel and wha’dya get?

DSC01469

Ta da!!!!!

DSC01470

 

And see, your so blinded by the shine coming off of my sink that you don’t even notice the flour on the counter or that I haven’t wiped underneath my canisters yet (shhh don’t tell my mom!)

One thing that is not mentioned on this first step, but is mentioned later, is to place a sticky note above your sink reminding you to shine your sink. Because we have teenagers coming through our house on a regular bases, and because I didn’t want to have to tell each one of them when they come over what to do, my sticky note has “directions” on it. Here' is what it says:

DSC01474

Shine The Sink!

*Put dirty dishes straight into the dishwasher.

*Wash and put away dishes after each meal (the ones that don’t go in the dishwasher).

*Dry sink after using.

*Start dishwasher before bed & unload it first thing in the morning.

Those sound like a lot of rules but when everyone does those 4 things it keeps the kitchen looking nice without me having to do everything.

(Once again these next statements and views are my own and not affiliated with Flylady.net)

I told you yesterday that, as I was going through these baby steps before, I started realizing how cleaning my house has application to cleaning my heart and preparing myself to be used of God. Today’s baby step was to shine my sink and although the thought of shining a sink may not ring any spiritual bells the fact that I had to clean my sink out so it could be used does. God wants to use us in His master plan, He didn’t send His Son to die for our sins just so we could return to those same sins. No, He emptied us of sin so He could fill us with Him, with His Holy Spirit, so He could use us to glorify His name.

Our church has been praying for a lady, for almost a year now, to get saved. She has been asking questions and her son had been pleading with her to come to church and finally this past Sunday she came and accepted Christ as her personal Savior. I was playing the piano for the invitation and had the front row seat. Have you ever seen someone get saved? Do you know the joyful glow that comes over their face when it happens? Well she had it right away and God wants us to keep that joyful glow by keeping our lives free from sin and the dirt of this world. Matthew 5:14-16 says,

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.  Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.  Let our light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

That joyful glow I mentioned before IS our light! People should be able to look at us and know something is different. These verses also tell us that we are the light in this dark and dirty, sin-filled world and not to hide that light.

Lastly, in order to keep that light shining through my life I have to daily clean out the old sin that tries to cover it. One of the instructions for shining my sink was to daily wash the dishes and daily wipe the sink out. Our heart is the same way we need to daily ask for forgiveness of sins and daily be in the Word and daily be striving to be more like Christ.

When others look at your life do they see a shining testimony of what God is doing through you or do they see a dirty un-used sink?

No comments:

Post a Comment