Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Salvation Testimony

I gave you Kenny’s testimony this morning, you can read about it here if you missed it. I wanted to go ahead and give you mine today as well. Both of these will be linked to on the ‘All About Us’ page here on the blog as well as the story of how we met and all that jazz :)

P9030541

imagew27

P8230005

 

I, like Kenny, grew up in a Christian home. I don’t really remember what prompted it but one day when I was 5 or 6 I started asking my Dad about different members of our family and whether or not they were saved. Because of my questions my Dad believed I was ready to be shown the plan of salvation. My Mom and I sat on the porch swing as she took her Bible and read different verses about how you can be saved. I remember saying a prayer but I struggled later on with whether I had really understood what I was doing. Sometimes a preacher would say in his message that if you can’t remember the verses you read or the words of your prayer then your probably not saved – which, by the way, is a false statement, its not what you read or what you say that makes you saved, its your recognition that you are a sinner,

Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”

and your believe in Jesus Christ’s death on the cross as payment for your sins to give you eternal life (salvation).

John 3:15 “That whosoever believeth in him (Jesus) should not perish, but have eternal life.

Unfortunately, I continued to struggle with my salvation. By the time I turned 16 we had switched churches and my new friends just assumed that I was saved and I was too embarrassed to admit my problem. I went to Camp Barnabas – a Christian camp for teenagers - that summer. In Monday evenings message I was under a lot of conviction to go forward and talk to someone about salvation but I was worried what my friends would say, that they would make fun or be mad at me for lying to them. The preacher said something that night in his invitation that I’ll never forget “No one will make fun of you for coming forward for salvation, if they are your true friends they will rejoice along with you that you have finally gotten this settled.” That was all I needed, I all but ran to my counselor. The preacher was right too, they did rejoice! :)

Don’t be like me, waiting, struggling, wondering about salvation. If your not sure or if all of this is new to you, don’t wait, talk to someone today!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Becky. I love to hear salvation testimonies. May I add this to my file? I have a file of testimonies of ladies from MBC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. Feel free to copy anything on here that you like :)

    ReplyDelete